This week's challenge is about optimizing your website, which is something I did when I was working with Ariel before. Not a lot of changes I need to make to the existing status quo from the last time I worked this chapter, but I may change my pitch and add it to the My Space, Twitter, and Facebook pages.
My biggest problem? Lack of consistent follow-through. I have great ideas but don't execute. I write great songs but don't record them or finish them. I get email addresses at my gigs but don't add them to the list until 4 months later and/or never send a newsletter.
I signed up for this blog contest to hopefully stimulate some more consistency from myself. Because I feel like the consistency will pay off.
It's not like I just sit on my duff, though. I am still recovering from a pulmonary embolism and blood clots in my leg from March. I have an almost 5 year old who I am the primary caregiver for 4 days a week (wife works those days). I played 9 gigs a week all summer long. So I am still catching up, but I am hoping this contest stimulates my "follow-through" muscle.
For example, I look at all the awesome-looking websites that the other participants have and see how I have not updated mine in eons. I even got Dreamweaver as a Christmas present last year, but here it is Christmas again and I still have just cracked the first page of the manual. Can't afford to hire a web designer.
One tool that Ariel provides which really helps to list FIVE SUCCESSES every day. Because otherwise So I am going to start with that (making 2 of them music related):
1) Had 2 musically successful gigs the last two days - played some originals at both of them (mostly I play covers).
2) Sold 10 CDs Friday night, Sold 7 CDs last night. Average price paid - $6. The CDs are original music.
3) Writing this blog is a big step toward consistent action!
4) Took my daughter trick-or-treating. We went to just enough houses and had a really great time. She gives up most of her candy so the "Halloween Fairy" can give her a present.
5) Got home from the gig last night at 4 AM (it's 2 hrs away). Got to bed at 6 and slept a full 8 hours until 2 without waking up. With all my sleep issues of the last couple of years, this is a major thing!
6) Did not get angry at the little things today. Contained the impulse to lash out. :-)
Anyways...on to week 4. I may re-examine this chapter to make sure I've really worked it to my satisfaction, but my time is short and I am volunteering to make phone calls for my congressman tomorrow to get out the vote. Vote Patrick Murphy for Pennsylvania's 8th District!